Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Eurotrip (Part 1: The Boyfriend)

In classic Connie fashion, I'm making this trip a learning experience.


My travels took place in three parts: with Mike, with friends, and with myself. Each leg of the journey lasted about one week, and I'm writing a post about the unique experiences and lessons from each. The location was much less important than the people I was with; I would have had very different experiences in each place had the people been different. It just makes me all the more grateful for the wonderful people with whom I get to share being alive. So without further ado, I present Part 1: The Boyfriend!


The Boyfriend

We started off in Paris. Both carrying only a backpack for the next three weeks, our mobility was streamlined, meaning one less worry for the trip. Our time in Paris was largely characterized by pastry consumption and lots of walking. I'm interested in understanding the cultures of the places I travel, so I strongly prefer walking over taking public transportation so I get a chance to see more of the city. It's crazy to see people casually go on a daily run by the Louvre or observe the friendly interactions among the people of Florence, moments that I would miss if I didn't see them in passing. I enjoy wandering with loose plans that give me a chance to serendipitously discover the pulse of a place.

I don't mind tourist traps with a great view though. Anything that involves a bit of a hike and a satisfying overlook of the city is worth it to me. On that first night, the overlook of Paris from Montmarte was magical. The twinkling lights of the city with people from around the world singing Beatles songs was surreal.




Next stop: Barcelona. This was definitely a favorite: the beaches, the local flair, the bustling markets, the great food, and the hipster fashion was everything I wanted and more. It was such a casual place with men running out into the streets at 2PM for a game of soccer and people lounging by the water with a pint of beer, soaking in the afternoon rays. We also participated in an eatwith, which was a great chance to share a meal with some wonderful strangers. If you haven't participated in an eatwith before, I strongly recommend it. Much like how airbnb gives anyone a chance to run their own bed and breakfast, eatwith gives home chefs an opportunity to run their own pop-up restaurant. It's especially great while traveling because you get the chance to meet people familiar with the area and enjoy a meal of local cuisine. Our new friends recommended we try calcots, large green onions grilled to a charred black, and then served with a tomato sauce. They are the Barcelona equivalent to the food served at US barbeques. So the next day,we set off to feast on calcots, and ended up at a rustic restaurant with the friendliest waiter. He spoke to us in Chinese, laughed with us, and served us post-lunch shots, saying that they were the Spanish equivalent to a very strong Chinese alcohol. Without a doubt, the people we met largely defined my experience and are what I will remember most about the city.



Rome was a bit of a disappointment. It was overrun with tourists and seemed more of a historical site made into an amusement park than a city of unique individuals. Maybe it's because we didn't get the chance to meet many people, but Rome wasn't very satisfying. The water poisoning and subsequent nights of vomiting were also a fun curveball. The sights from the Orangerie gardens and the Knights of Malta Keyhole were memorable, but other than that, not much happened besides food and history.

And with that, we closed our adventures. These travels taught me quite a bit about myself, Mike, and our relationship. I learned how weak my stomach is, a good thing to know for future travels. I also learned how tiring it can be to travel with only one other. The increased mobility is a blessing and a curse: you can see everything, but moving around all the time is the best way to burn out. However, it can also be quite relaxing not having to balance the needs of a whole group. Mike and I are luckily compatible travelers: we both get tired at around the same rate and are interested in similar things. However, being in close quarters 24/7 was a new experience. Traveling is unlike the working/student life when you mostly see each other in the evenings and your day is interspersed with interactions with others. It's just two people. These unique circumstances helped me appreciate a lot of things about Mike: his leniency, his focus on enjoyment rather than frugality, his ability to balance work and play. You discover a lot about a person by traveling with them, and I'm grateful for this opportunity to discover not only new places but also new appreciations with Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment